Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Calzone (...pulling a 'Pioneer-Woman')

Ingredients:

Pizza dough
Tomatoes
Ricotta Cheese
Tomato Sauce
Onions
Spinach leaves
Pepperoni
Chicken Sausage
Mozzerella Cheese
Italian Seasoning

This is not how I usually make my calzones. But my friend Ivory came over with it, and we worked it in! You know that my husband loved it - the more meat the better, right? What's nice about making a calzone is you can make it as light and healthy (or as fattening and heavy) as you'd like. You control the ingredients.
I buy the flattened out pizza dough from Win Co for three bucks. I take it home and smear half of it with riccotta cheese, smear some tomato sauce on top of that. Then come the chopped tomatoes. I use a ton! Because after you sprinkle those tomatoes with plenty of italian seasoning, they will be the center of the flavor of your calzone. On top of the tomatoes I added a few chopped onions and then layere spinach leaves, sliced sausage and sliced pepperoni. Sprinkle at least 2 cups of shredded mozzerella cheese and that's it. Fold the dough over, knead the ends, and sprinkle a little more cheese on top if you want. Bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes, and let cool for 5 minutes before you cut into it or all your yummy gooeyness comes melting right out.


A great thing about making your own calzone:
They're gigantic, and they taste awesome the next day!
(guess what i'm having for lunch...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you all... I have eaten Didi's Calzones... and they are YuMmY!!!